Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Eagles

It was about 20 years ago when I was first introduced to the Eagles and I have been hooked ever since. 

I would describe myself as a music addict. From as early as I can remember, music has spoken to me and moved through my veins with an ease similar to breathing. In college, I studied English Language and Comparative Literature, but still I find myself at a loss for words when trying to verbalize how a song makes me feel internally. 

My first memory of music involved my father when I was about 8 years old. Our family had recently purchased a fancy new contraption, called a computer, and you could put Cd's in it and play music! I thought this was the greatest invention since Barbies. We would sit in our den almost every night and play around on the small, fuzzy screen with a playlist consisting of James Taylor, Nat King Cole, The Doors, and the Eagles. I couldn't tell you what drew me to this music with such rich history that I couldn't even begin to comprehend at such a young age, but I knew I loved it. Every week I would do chores to earn money so my dad would take me to the local second-hand CD store and I would buy a new album.

Needless to say, I own every Eagles record and know every Eagles song. My father and I have seen every Eagles concert within a 300 mile radius over the last several years.  For the past 20 years, the Eagles have become part of my life, part of my family, part of my marriage, and part of me. I experience something new every time I hear one of their songs, even if I have heard it a million times before. My husband and I danced to Love Will Keep Us Alive at our wedding. Life in the Fast Lane has kept me motivated to keep up the pace while I am exercising. And Hotel California has been played at every party I have ever had. 

It still fascinates me that as I grow older I am continuously able to relate to each song in an entirely unique way than I was 1,2, even 5 years prior. Eagles music is timeless and evolves and matures much like its listeners. Whether it was listing to a song for pure enjoyment, to overcome a stressful situation, to deal with the loss of a loved one, to gain to strength after a tough break-up, or even to bond with my dad in my elementary years, Eagles music has helped mold me into who I am today. 

Over the weekend my dad and I went to see the Eagles in concert once again. They were playing at the Honda Center in Anaheim, CA. Our seats were the best they've ever been (although you can't tell from my atrocious camera) and we were so anxious to soak up every minute of it. We started off the night at a restaurant called The Ranch near the venue. It was pricey and a bit fancy, but the food was delicious.

We started our dinner with their infamous popovers. These are large, hollow bread pastries that flake like a croissant, but taste like a warm loaf of honey wheat bread. They're served with a chunky cinnamon apple jam and butter. 


We knew we were going to be spending a few hours at The Ranch, so we decided to indulge and order a second appetizer. We ordered ceviche and they brought out three different kinds. The first was traditional shrimp, the second was lobster, and the third was mango. All three were surprisingly unique, yet equally tasty. 


We each ordered a bowl of their house soup of the day, which was a broccoli cheese with potato chunks. The soup was thick, creamy, and rich with a burst of hearty flavors. 


There weren't a large variety of meat-less options, so I opted for a plate of roasted veggies. I learned that The Ranch owns their own local farm and all of the produce on the menu comes fresh from their neighborhood location. My vegetables were served with a beet puree that was divine. The garden fresh veggies included green beans, mushrooms, leeks, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, carrots, and more. 


Since everything at The Ranch is served A la carte, we ordered a side dish to share. My choice was lobster mac and cheese. This was made with large shell pasta, generous chunks of lobster, and a subtle, yet rich cheese sauce. 


My dad ordered the prime rib with a side of baked au gratin potatoes. I obviously did not taste any of his meal, but he was definitely not complaining. 


For dessert we went with a treat that resembled a Milky Way candy bar. We were skeptical when we laid eyes on the dish, but after one bite we were hooked. This decedent treat was the most rewarding and high-quality Milky Way I have ever experienced. 


My dad had been growing out his beard for close to a year (since my wedding) and planned to chop it off the night after the concert, so he told me to braid it for him... 


For whatever reason, we were not able to take photos or video of the Eagles preforming. I tried to sneak a couple different pictures, but my camera is terrible and they had to be quick so, unfortunately, they aren't impressive. This was one of the best nights I have had in a while. My dad and I enjoyed ourselves immensely. We had so much fun dancing around and singing for hours. The Eagles sounded amazing and did not fail to impress their attentive audience. 




No comments:

Post a Comment