Monday, January 26, 2015

Arbonne

During our visit to the Gentle Barn, Mark and I enjoyed the various booths set up around the property offering everything from vegan food to cosmetic samples. We ate lunch at the Gentle Barn and shopped at the gift store. I was excited to see that Arbonne had a table set up at the Gentle Barn. Arbonne is a company that I have read about on vegan beauty blogs for a long time now. There are so many mixed reviews about this company and their cruelty-free policy. It seems that no one can obtain the same answer from any of their reps. I decided to approach the the women at the table in an attempt to get some clarification about the brand.

Below is an email I sent to the Gentle Barn after speaking with the Arbonne rep. I felt it was important for them to know how my encounter with Arbonne unfolded. 





"My husband and I visited the Gentle Barn for the first time on Sunday, January 4th. I heard about other animal sanctuaries on Instagram, so I did a little research and found that Gentle Barn is the closest one to me. Being able to spend time at the barn was a humbling experience for me and I enjoyed it very much. I greatly appreciate the help and second chance at life that the Gentle Barn has given these animals. The staff and volunteers were knowledgeable and seemed to really love the animals. It is a very family-friendly environment that teaches children about the importance of animal rights, so I can't wait to bring my future children to the Gentle Barn. It was nice to see the different stations set-up all around the property, like the vegan hot dog booth, face painting post, the gift & snack shops, and the Arbonne table. 

Over the last year I have done extensive research on cruelty-free cosmetic brands with vegan options. In the beginning of 2014 I completely changed my lifestyle by becoming a vegetarian and only using cruelty-free and vegan products. I have always heard mixed reviews about Arbonne, so when I saw them at the Gentle Barn I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to ask a few questions about the brand. When I approached the table I explained to the women that I was a supporter of cruelty-free/vegan products and I had a few questions about Arbonne because the reviews online are so mixed. I was surprised when one of the women became incredibly offended and said, "That is bullshit! We don't test on animals. We even use soy ink in our ads and fliers. Give me a break! I am a vegan!" Needless to say, I was a little put off by her aggressive attitude and the way she initiated the conversation. I tried to explain to her that there are many great sources online to find cruelty-free/vegan brands, but Arbonne isn't on many of them. I told her that I, myself, have even tried to reach out to the brand on multiple occasions to inquire about their stance and have heard nothing back. To which she responded, "I work for them and I can't even get a response back! They gave me a $20 coupon last month because I sent so many unanswered emails." She appeared to be unnecessarily flustered about my questioning Arbonne's practices. She seemed to be uneducated about the term "cruelty-free", but because she was blatantly unreceptive to my inquiry I decided to not push any further. Just because a company does not conduct animals testing themselves, does not make them cruelty-free. If Arbonne is owned by a larger parent company, that company could potentially test on animals, which would make Arbonne and its proceeds categorized as NOT cruelty-free. Also, if Arbonne doesn't require proof that the ingredients they purchase from their suppliers are cruelty-free, then they have no way of knowing if their products are 100% free of animal testing. There is a wonderful website called Logical Harmony that is dedicated to giving its followers the most current and up-to-date information on cruelty-free cosmetics. The founder is thorough, honest about her findings, and encourages her readers to do their own research by teaching them how to get started. Arbonne is a brand that has come up many times and she has not been able to get a clear answer from corporate Arbonne that states their stance on animal testing. (Here is the website, if you're interested: www.logicalharmony.net/cruelty-free-vegan-brand-list/#axzz3Nxvsqatv)

The Arbonne representative handed me a catalog with her card—Ziggy Mrkich was her name. To abruptly end our conversation she asked me if I would like to try a sample and to be polite I said, "sure, why not?". She began to fumble through her samples for a facial moisturizer, then proceeded to ask me in a quite condescending tone, "So, you're in your 30's.... or 40's?" I had to chuckle... I am in my 20's and by now I could tell she was intentionally being rude because she did not like where our conversation was headed. It is unfortunate because my husband and I were having such a great day filled with positivity and joy until Ziggy came along, filled with such hostility and negativity. As a sales representative of a company that you BELIEVE to be genuine and ethical, wouldn't you strive to work with new potential customers by providing them proof and comfort that your product is as great as you say it is? Also, wouldn't you encourage questions and applaud someone for being aware of the animal testing industry and attempting to make a difference by getting as much information as possible—not berate someone for being bold enough to ask?

Sadly, I would never purchase anything from Arbonne whether it is a cruelty-free company or not based off of this one single interaction. I will also urge anyone I meet to do the same. 

I took the time to send this message to you because I think it is important for you to know how your patrons are being treated. Visiting the Gentle Barn was an immensely pleasant experience and, once again, I thank you for everything you have done for the animals that live there. The animals you have saved are grateful and clearly live a much more peaceful life. If I didn't live two hours away, I would be a volunteer in a heartbeat! I value the time I spent at Gentle Barn and am so glad I hugged a cow before I encountered Ziggy, or the day might have ended very differently. *smiley face*"

I can not wait to visit the Gentle Barn again! There is so much love and compassion within its walls (or fences, I should say). I decided to reach out the Gentle Barn regarding this incident because I would hate to think other patrons who approached the Arbonne table were treated this way. Fighting against animal cruelty is a lifestyle and those who embrace it shouldn't be chastised, especially by someone claiming to live the same harmonious lifestyle. 

Immediately after reaching out to the Gentle Barn, I was contacted via email and telephone by a man named Jay. He was very sweet and apologetic for Ziggy and her attitude. He thanked me for coming forward and sharing my experience with him. He let me know that was currently doing research to confirm Arbonne's practices and claims. He told me he would keep me posted on his findings. 

By following the Gentle Barn on social media, I know he is currently in Tennessee taking care of Dudley, the rescue cow that I mentioned in my previous blog post, so I completely understand why he hasn't gotten back to me. I am in no hurry, but can't wait to see if he discovers any news on Arbonne. 

No comments:

Post a Comment