Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Labor Day Weekend

I don't know about you, but I had a very busy, fun-filled Labor Day weekend! My oldest brother, Mark, my dad, and some of my male cousins and uncles went camping over the weekend, so my mom and I decided to have a girls weekend. We gallivanted all over town and by Monday night, we were exhausted!

It all started Saturday afternoon when we visited the Orange International Street Fair. The street fair takes place at the Orange Circle or The Plaza (whichever you prefer), every August. It is considered old-town Orange—surrounded by beautifully maintained historic houses, vintage eateries, and the infamous Chapman University. The city blocks off several streets and assigns different countries to each section. In each "county" there is live music, ethnic food, beer, etc. There are also booths selling everything from art and jewelry to kitchenware and clothes. It is a great place to meet your friends, grab a bite to eat, and observe the inebriated fair goers (or elderly women line-dancing).



Our first stop was my new favorite ice cream parlor, à la minute. What makes this place unique, is the technique they use to make their exquisite frozen concoctions. à la minute uses liquid nitrogen to freeze their ice cream so they can make it right before your eyes. They also claim to use a 100% organic ice cream base and strive to purchase ingredients from local distributors. Mom and I shared fresh mint chip—it was divine. 


We then moved along to the accessory booths were I picked up some awesome items thanks to StyleFox! I fell in love with this chunky, color block piece (it was on sale too!). I enjoy the modern, yet Art Deco vibe that this necklace gives off. 


The next piece I found drew me in with the color alone! I am a huge fan of the color pink and absolutely love the knotted flowers made of rope. This necklace is a bold, statement piece that will bring a burst of color to any monochromatic outfit. 


The final item I chose for myself is this striped, canvas handbag. I am obsessed with all of the colors because I feel like I can make it work with nearly any outfit. This bag also has a super cute light blue, peacock feather pattern liner. My favorite thing about this bag has to be the FAUX leather. No animals were harmed in the making of this purse... J
 

My sister-in-law, Megan, recently rented a home near "the circle" in Orange. She was away for the weekend and allowed us to use her driveway to park so we could walk right into the fair. I got her a little sum'n sum'n as a thank you.


Check out StyleFox's online store!


We ended the night at my favorite street: IRELAND. I do enjoy the food and occasionally the beer, but I LOVE the music (and apparently the crowd did too). 



The fair wound-down around about an hour before closing, which is 10pm. My mom and I promised my grandfather a bratwurst sausage so we picked one up and headed down the street to his house. We spent about an hour and a half talking and then headed home. When we finally got home it was past 11pm, but we took the dogs on a walk anyways. I enjoy walking Domino at night because he has a pretty rad light-up leash and collar combo.


The next morning we headed to The Velvet Lounge in Santa Ana for a buffet, endless champagne, drag show brunch! My mom and I were accompanied by my dear friends Jen Jen and Ruthie. 








Monday my mom and I went to the movies to see Maleficent (finally!) and of course we brought Yogurtland to snack on during the film. We finished off the weekend with lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant, Richardo's. All in all, I would say it was a very successful ladies weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a great Sunday brunch B! You are such a great friend and an even better Daughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jen! Life just wouldn't be worth living without friends like you. XOXO

    ReplyDelete