Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Tuesday & Tattoos

In my attempt to be a healthier human, I have been walking Domino for about 30 minutes every day. It is good for him and myself to get out each evening to stretch our legs and get some fresh air. Mark must have been in a good mood last night because he also walked my parents dog, Ammo. Ammo isn't as well behaved as our beloved Domino, so my mom is usually the one who takes him out. Last night Ammo was on his best behavior and these two besties had a great time strutting their stuff around the block.


After our walk I prepared a very easy (and scrumptious) dinner. Sprouts carries a nice assortment of frozen fish, so anytime there is a sale I try to stock up. Mark enjoys fish and it is a nice break from all of the meat he consumes. I preheated the oven to 400 degrees and tossed two fillets in two separate pie tins. This particular fish is coconut breaded tilapia and when it was finished cooking it smelled amazing! I also took a bag of frozen brussel sprouts and put them in a baking dish. I put the fish and the sprouts in the oven for about 30 minutes. I had a bag of frozen quinoa and kale, so I put that in the microwave too. This dinner took literally no effort, but Mark enjoyed it. I am so lucky he isn't a picky eater! 


After dinner we stopped by Mechanical Concepts Tattoo in Huntington Beach to watch my mom get her first tattoo. Anyone who knows me, knows how much I LOVE tattoos! I got my first tattoo at 15 years old—in a hotel room—which I will admit, isn't my proudest moment, but I have been hooked ever since. I ended up getting another at age 16 in Mexico and another at age 17 in Hawaii.

In high school, there was a shop called Outer Limits on Tustin and Chapman in Orange that everyone went to for tattoos and piercings. They were infamous for being exceptionally clean and doing incredible work. I got my first legal tattoo at Outer Limits when I was 18 and just kept coming back. My tattoo artist was named Mike D and he was one of the best artists at the shop. About 4 years ago him and his wife moved to North Carolina to open his own shop. This left me without an artist... 

Throughout my time working in the bridal industry, I met all sorts of people: doctors, lawyers, homemakers, fiances of famous sports figures and news casters, morticians, flight attendants, models, and even tattoo artists. I had remembered helping a cute little lady who went by the name of "L". She was spunky and had a light in her eyes that everyone around her was drawn to. She was engaged and during her appointment I helped her find her dream dress. As we got to know each other she told me she was an artist at Outer Limits—at the time I didn't think anything of it because I had always gone to Mike, but I am sure glad I kept her in my mental Rolodex because when I found out he was leaving I needed to find a replacement. 

I examined L's profile and really admired her style of work. Her and I worked together to design my half sleeve and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Over the years she has become one of my closest friends. Outer Limits closed earlier this year and L relocated to a new shop (which better suits her).

Now where was I? Oh yeah, my mom has been wanting to get a tattoo for some time now and she always knew she wanted to go to L. She finally made the appointment and committed to a design, but our whole family was worried how she would deal with the pain. My mom is small and not exactly what I would call "tough"; however, she sat like a champ. Aside from digging her nails into my dads hand, she made it through the 1 1/2 hour session like a pro. 


No comments:

Post a Comment