Wednesday, August 13, 2014

metanoia

"metanoia: the journey of changing one's mind, heart, self, or way of life"

After graduating college two years ago with a degree in English language and comparative literature, I am surprised it took me this long to entertain the idea of blog writing. I love the idea of creative writing, but struggle to make time to allow my creative juices to flow. There are so many ideas and topics floating around in my head, I think it is time to release the beast. I guess I should start by saying a bit more about myself...


I was born and raised in Orange County, California. While I do feel lucky to live in such a beautiful state, I cant help but wish I lived somewhere rainy and less populated. My husband and I love to enjoy the outdoors especially when it is damp and wooded. Nearly a year ago I married the greatest man I have ever known (besides my father, of course). After patiently waiting for almost 6 years, he finally asked for my hand in marriage. If you care to read all of the details, check this out:

http://www.mywedding.com/markandbrittanyaimola

We were married at an equestrian center in Chino Hills surrounded by 150 of our closest friends and family. It was the most beautiful and breathtaking day of my life. It is an unexplainable feeling when you can look out around you and literally see everyone whom you adore and admire all under one roof. I cant even begin to express my gratitude and love for all of those who took part in our special day. 


#aimolapartyoftwo

If you couldn't tell, I have a soft-spot for weddings. I worked in the bridal industry for over 8 years and still get excited over the little details! I believe wholeheartedly that weddings should have personal touches and unique subtle accents that represent your love for one other. Much of our wedding was DIY (thanks to Pinterest and the help of my talented bridal party). 

*Photo courtesy of Jessica Thomas Photography*

My husband, Mark, and I adopted a Dalmatian in 2012 who has changed our lives. His name is Domino and he has brought an entirely new kind of love into my life. After college I really wanted to adopt a dog. My family has only ever had Dalmatians, so naturally that was my first instinct. I scoured Dalmatian rescue websites, but I had a hard time actually contacting anyone. One day I was googling around and happen to find an ad on Craiglist for an 8 month old male Dalmatian puppy. My mom and I drove for about an hour to check out this dog, but once I saw his living conditions and heard how this family was caring for him, I knew there was no way I was leaving without him. He spent his entire life in a metal crate, in a garage, in a city where the temperature frequently reaches 100 degrees. The top of his nose was raw from attempting to see beyond his wire prison, he was fed bags of snacks instead of nutrient puppy food, he had never been bathed or brushed, and they man-handled him when we wouldn't listen to their instructions. His legs were like jello and his bones were not strong from lack of exercise and space to move. The man complained about how hyper he was and assured me I would never be able to walk him on a leash or get him to obey my commands. Well, Mark and I have had Domino for almost two years and he is the BEST dog my family has ever owned. It took hard work and patients, but he walks and runs well on a leash, doesn't leave the front yard unless instructed, he is healthy and muscular, well-groomed, and I swear he loves us more because we saved him. Don't get me wrong, Mark and I can not wait to start a family and be parents, but for now this 85 pounds of joy is all I need! 



#dominothedalmatian

I guess this is a good start for my first blog post ever! But stay tuned because there is more to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment