Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Cruelty-Free & Vegan

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone."
Earlier this year I embarked on a life-changing journey to educate myself, and others, about what goes in to the products we use everyday (physically and metaphorically). I am not even sure when my quest began, but once it started there was no stopping it. The more information I pulled from the Internet, the more ignorant and disappointed I felt in myself. I couldn't believe how unaware I was of the torturous things happening to animals just so I can look good for work in the morning. I carefully combed through various blogs, new articles, and informative webpages to gain information on the devastating reality that is: animal testing. 

I was flabbergasted because I knew the concept of animal testing, but I was unaware to the extent of which it was used today. There are so many formulas and ingredients available to use at our disposal, most of which we know through prior testing are safe for human consumption or use, yet we still continue this archaic practice on innocent animals. 

I have always been an animal lover, but my passion for animal rights intensified when I adopted Domino. He filled my heart with a love I had never experienced before and I felt the urge to help other animals like him who might be suffering. 


#dominothedalmatian 

During my research I found several informative blogs, but many of them had conflicting information. One blog will say certain companies are cruelty-free and another blog will say they are not. It can be extremely frustrating trying to find solid, trustworthy sources! I stumbled upon a blog that blew all the other sites I had seen out of the water. The writer is so informed, creative, and eager to teach others how to live a bit smarter.  


My favorite thing about this site is the LONG list of cruelty-free and vegan brands with products ranging from cosmetics, hair care, bath and body products, household cleaning supplies, personal hygiene items, makeup and hair brushes, and even condoms. This is a great place to find new brands that do not test on animals or contain any animal byproducts. I have made it my mission to replace every cosmetic and personal hygiene product I use, with one that is 100% cruelty-free and vegan. Since I can't afford to throw out everything I own and start from scratch, every time I am out of a product I will do a little investigating and shop with a brand who I am confident meets my specifications. Not every brand I use is 100% vegan, although each item I purchase from any brand is 100% vegan and cruelty-free. It is my personal preference to use products that have never been tested on animals at anytime throughout the production process and do not contain any animal byproducts. I am convinced that for every product you use, there is one out there that is free from animal testing and animal ingredients. I also believe that everyone should make their own decisions and use what works best for them and their lifestyle, but it definitely helps to be educated. I do reference the list on Logical Harmony; however, before purchasing from any brand (online or in-store) I reach out to each company and do my own research. It is important for me to be completely confident in the products and brands for which I spend my hard-earned cash. 

Labels can be tricky, which is why reaching out to the companies themselves has proved to be the best way for me to gain the confidence I seek. Some labels claim to be cruelty-free, yet the parent company tests on animals (so, your money is indirectly supporting a company that promotes animal testing). Other companies will claim to be cruelty-free simply because they do not conduct the testing themselves; however, many of the ingredients purchased and used in their products are tested on animals. My definition of a truly cruelty-free company is one who does not conduct or require animal testing, does not purchase ingredients or raw materials that have been tested, and is not owned by a parent company that does test on animals. 

You should obviously be comfortable with the brands you choose to purchase and companies you choose to support. Since my switch to cruelty-free and vegan products, I see a positive difference in my skin and body. Many cruelty-free and vegan products contain natural ingredients instead of harsh chemicals which has made a world of difference to my skin. 

My theory: woman spend exorbitant amounts of money on creams and serums to make themselves look younger. I believe using all-natural ingredients on your face and body, from a young age, will keep your skin fresh and rejuvenatedhopefully making us less likely to need costly creams and serums later in life. 

Product reviews to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment